Maybe you have noticed I started a web comic some weeks ago now, called “Big Schtick”. It’s a translation of the Dutch language web comic, called “Stok achter de Deur” and deals with the sport of running. In the first three episodes I (sort of) vented my ideas about running, but I guess this doesn’t scale. At some point those ideas will dry up or become boring. So I need some kind of continuity. I thought a character cast would work best.
Truth be told I had a joke, but I couldn’t get it to work with anonymous characters, like with the previous episodes. I thought I needed identifiable personalities. So making a virtue of a need, I decided to make them the cast for the comic itself.
Meet the Jolly Bunch. It’s a group of friends who like to run together, three guys and two gals. I haven’t solidified their characters, but here’s the general idea:
- Jon, the little guy, is a prankster. He likes practical jokes, which make the others laugh and keep their spirits up, even if the run is a bit boring.
- Pete is the seasoned runner. He has run many races and the others rely on his knowledge about running. He can outrun all of them, but he always comes back to join them.
- Bob is the newcomer. He has a weight problem and his doctor told him to start running to lose weight. The others always make fun of him, but he’s still a valued member of the group.
- Nat is the friendly, outgoing one. When pesky non-runners try to mock them, she always tries to let them see the runners’ side of the story, so they understand.
- Sara is the youngest of the bunch. Her boyfriend doesn’t want her to run, but she does anyway. Maybe she loves running more than anything and her boyfriend can only play second fiddle. Nevertheless, she always is on her cell to tell (or text) she loves him.
All this is still in beta. A lot of things can still change and probably will.
Thanks for reading and if you have any advice for me (and I really need it right now!), or want to ask me anything, don’t hesitate to leave a comment.