A rose by any name…

28 Nov

Here’s something I made using The Gimp. I saved the intermediary files as Photoshop PSD files, so I could easily go back to an earlier step and use any drawing software that supports PSD to edit the files afterwards.

rose

I started with a blank image (here represented as a black background because of the way how Flickr works, but on the computer screen it was transparent) and drew a single petal on it, copied that layer and rearranged the layer copies…

rose-001rose-003

I changed the orientation of the petals, mirrored horizontally in the back and changed the width of the petals, to give a 3D effect…

rose-003rose-004

I made the petals in the back smaller, to strengthen the 3D effect, and pulled the petals together…

rose-005rose-006

I drew a stem and the sepals, each in their own layers, and added a single leaf…

rose-007rose-008

I copied the leaf, mirrored it, and translated it. Next, I began working on the background…

rose-009rose-010

Next, I rearranged the petals, by rotating and translating the layers. Then I made the background less soft and fluffy…

rose-011rose-012

Some final tweaks with the contrast of the two leafs, the stem and the single sepals layers and my rose was ready…

rose-013

That is all.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: