Making of “Beardus Maximus fan art, day 12”

17 Oct

I decided to share some of the artwork I did for day 12 of the Beardus Maximus fan art project, which I enjoy immensely. I can only hope people keep buying copies of the comic book Rebootus Maximus by Krishna Sadasivam.

I did no digital manipulation. This is how the files rolled off the scanner. The only thing different is that I scanned at a low resolution (72 dpi instead of the normal 300 dpi).

Beardus Maximus 12 pre-sketch aBeardus Maximus 12 pre-sketch bBeardus Maximus 12 pre-sketch cBeardus Maximus 12 sketch

Due to legalese, I can’t share the reference photo, but I’m sure you can find it through an image search quite easily, as I did.

The first sketch was just a rough pencil sketch, trying to explore the subject. The next sketch was already an attempt to construct something, using the photo only as a reference. In the third sketch I replaced Marty McFly with Bob Weiner. In the fourth sketch I used a piece of tracing paper, and traced sketch number 3 with a Micron pen, adding small refinements.

After I scanned the traced drawing, I did a threshold (only black and white) and some retouch. The layer mode was set to multiply, and a white layer put underneath. Color on that new layer will now appear as the same color on the computer screen and in the final result. I used the magic wand to select areas in the scanned layer, expanded them one pixel, and filled the layer underneath within that selection. This prevents most (if not all) closure errors.

That is all.

%d bloggers like this: